Monday, March 22, 2010

Father Peddicord

Fr. Peddicord, O. P.
Theology Teacher at Fenwick High School

Peddicord had a way of defying gravity. His posture was straight but somehow his entire body was always leaning forward in a way that would have made anyone else fall down. He was tall, quick and thin and his white robe would flutter as he floated through the room. Whenever anyone horsed around in class he would lean over them glaring and in an ascending melody describe their actions as "EEEEEVILLL."

Of all my high school classes at Fenwick I learned the most in and generally most enjoyed my four years of Theology. The Dominican Brothers and Fathers shared deep insights into the history of the Catholic Church and Christianity. Their method of teaching was to give it to us whole. We weren't spared any details of the horrors of the inquisition or other church abuses like the selling of indulgences. We were given the reasons the Anglicans and the Protestants broke away from the Catholic Church. Christ's life of charity was emphasized over the more dogmatic stories from the Old Testament. Peddicord in particular afforded us a level of enthusiasm, openness and honesty that made his classes fascinating. He was probably the first teacher I noticed who spoke entirely without cynicism. He empathetically elucidated the lives of the Saints and the trials faced by those martyred. The northern wall of his classroom was lined with tall cast iron frame windows through which I'd often stare into the sky while imagining his stories.

At the end of my last year with him we were able to watch The Mission together in class. That movie very clearly defined to me the idea that while an institution may not always make the right decisions, an individual can still act in accordance with his own conscience to do the right thing. That lesson still resonates from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. It's great you had a teacher that held your attention and interest so well. I found it common that so many teachers were, and are, so caught up in teaching you the standard lessons set up for their class they lose site of what they were there for. To reach and teach young minds. Those teachers that found a way to connect to me always seemed to have the biggest affect and influence on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I hated high school. It sucked all around. Glad to see someone got something out of it. It is always nice to be able to pay respect to people who inspired you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, while some of the worst times I have every had was in High School, it was also some of the best times. Although not necessarily in the school itself. I was never more alive then I was then as a young man.

    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

    That sounds familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete